Softball finishes season strong, preps for playoffs

The softball team suffered its first loss at home to Clarksburg, 7-3, May 5, dropping its record to 7-7. The Lady Bulldogs only have two regular season games left before they start a playoff run.

Despite the loss, the Lady Bulldogs are in third place in the 4A West Division and on track to have the best record for CHS softball over the last 11 years.

“While we focused mainly on batting at our recent practices, we just couldn’t get our bats moving in the game,” senior Meghan O’Lone said.

The softball team bounced back from a tough loss to Blair by defeating B-CC at home, 11-1, May 2. CHS slaughter-ruled the Barons after five innings of play, as O’Lone pitched a complete game and only gave up one earned run.

“We played great as a team to beat B-CC,” O’Lone said. “Junior Sarah Adams played very well and she hit a grand-slam.”

CHS lost at Blair, 3-2, April 30, in a heart breaker, as the Lady Bulldogs had a 2-1 lead in the international tie-breaker (extra innings) but could not hold on to the lead. Even though the team lost, CHS proved they could compete with any team since Blair is one of the best teams in the county.

“I believe that we played one of our best games against Blair,” junior Sarah Adams said. “We were all together working hard to prove to Blair that we weren’t going to give them an easy fight.”

CHS also played strong against Whitman, defeating them at home, 13-3, April 28. Sophomore Katie Jenkins led CHS to victory as she went three for four in the game with a walk, a triple and three runs batted in.

“The main keys to beating Whitman was being able to hit the pitcher and having confidence at the plate,” Jenkins said.

The softball team also blew out Springbrook 20-0 at home, April 27. CHS slaughter-ruled the Blue Devils in the fifth inning, ending the game. The Lady Bulldogs had over 10 hits in the game and drew many walks, which lead to its offensive explosion throughout the game.

“Our keys to winning the game were we eliminated almost all errors and we hit well at the plate too,” O’Lone said.

O’Lone had an astounding performance on the mound, pitching a no-hitter and receiving the win as the starting pitcher. O’Lone struck out three batters and only walked two batters in the complete game.

“I threw strikes and tried to walk as little people as possible,” O’Lone said. “I also tried to mix in my change up and my screw ball to throw batters off.”

The win ended the Lady Bulldogs’ three game-losing streak. CHS lost to Paint Branch April 15, Wootton April 14 and Richard Montgomery April 11, by one run in each of the games.

“We have had some ups and downs,” head coach James Collins said. “We have played in six one-run games and we lost four of them, but we could easily have won any of them if a few things had gone our way.”

4/28

Whitman @ CHS

W (13-3)

4/30

CHS @ Blair

L (3-2)

5/2

B-CC @ CHS

W (11-1)

5/5

Clarksburg @ CHS

L (7-3)