Athlete Of the Month: Jordan Bass

Ever since he could touch a ball, senior captain Jordan Bass’s motto in basketball has consisted of two words: hard work.

Picking up the sport at just 3 years old, Bass knew he had found something he would love for the rest of his life.

“I just think it’s the most fun game out there to play,” Bass said. “It has the most action of any sport; you are always getting a touch on the ball. I grew up playing it.”

The 6-foot guard is a strong presence on the court, accumulating an average of 10 points per game, mostly from impressive, long-range scoring.

Bass specializes in shooting from beyond the arc, frequently drawing opposing players to his shot and opening up his teammates for other scoring opportunities. 

“When he gets out there, he opens up the floor,” coach Matt Miller said. “Teams come to a game saying ‘We’ve got to stop Jordan Bass.’”

The team had an impressive run of 13 straight wins, proving their danger against any team in the state. Bass’s exceptional leadership on and off the court, modesty and quiet confidence have been instrumental in the team’s success.

“We want to make it to states, obviously,” Bass said. “Also, we want to sweep the division, but mostly we just want to win some respect. Nobody expected us to be this good. We want to prove them wrong.”

Bass received numerous offers from a number of smaller schools, but decided to forgo playing for a varsity team in pursuit of a different college experience. However, he hopes to still play in a men’s league.

Bass attributes the team’s success to a rigorous work ethic in the off and pre-season and the willingness and trust the players put into the program that Miller planned for them.

“Hard work pays off,” Bass said. “We busted our butts in the weight room, on the track and in the summer and fall leagues to get where we are now.”

Bass hopes the team will continue its winning season with a strong closer, in hopes of making it to states.

“Jordan is a role player,” senior Will Lewis said. “He makes plays, he is unselfish and the team looks up to him. I don’t think he has ever missed a workout, and he pushes himself.”

Lewis can describe his teammate Bass in two short words.

“Hard worker,” Lewis said.