Tennis wins fourth county championship in a row

The girls tennis team capped off an extremely successful season, clinching its fourth consecutive county tournament Oct. 22 at Walter Johnson after going neck-and-neck with local rivals Whitman and B-CC.

The team garnered 22 points, enough to put Whitman in second place with 18 points, and B-CC in third with 17 points. Wootton finished in fourth place with 15 points.

The Bulldog’s No. 1 singles player, senior Noor Judeh, was unable to compete, yet they found wins in the Nos. 2, 3 and 4 singles and No. 2 doubles. The Bulldog’s No. 2 singles player, junior Laila Judeh, was able to win the county title while No. 3 singles player senior Lauren Pinsky also captured a win. Senior captain Ashley Lin was also able to edge out her opponent for the No. 4 singles title, and juniors Tanya Bagheri and Jill Teitlebaum defended their No. 2 doubles title from the previous year.

“We had a very strong lineup this year, but our core concept of ‘good teammates make great teams, not just great players’ carried us on to our fourth straight championship,” head coach Benjamin Woods said.

As the 2010 season closed, the Bulldogs say goodbye to a bevy of talent, found in Judeh, who committed to play tennis at Rutgers University, former All-Gazette Player of the Year Pinsky, and senior captains Lin and Danielle Mandir.

“We had great leadership from captains Danielle and Ashley,” Woods said. “Everyone is going to have to work really hard in the offseason, especially on training, conditioning and doubles work.”

Despite the loss of talent, the Bulldogs expect to have a strong team next year with the return of the younger Judeh, Teitlebaum and Bagheri. The team is keeping its head up, and is committed to storming back next season stronger than ever.