Golf team’s states legacy not upheld this year

After finishing strong and emerging as the co-winners of the district championships, the golf team ended its season with satisfying individual finishes at the state championship.
Senior Bradley Rotter and junior Phillip Ahn led the team’s charge, finishing tied for 15th, each shooting 153.
“I thought the team played very well in a very balanced and competitive division,” head coach Michael Fisher said. “[We] finished four strokes behind [state champion] Urbana.”
However, qualifying for the final round of the state championship proved difficult as only a few teams from the district were allowed to advance.
 “As a team, even though we didn’t make team cuts because of an unfortunate situation where our district could provide only two teams to states instead of three, all four of us made individual cuts,” Rotter said.

Although the team technically had enough participants to receive a team score, they were considered individuals and no team placement was given due to the state regulations.
The team’s two-day total of 622 would have captured third place, one stroke behind Damascus and six strokes ahead of the actual third place team, Broadneck.

Looking ahead to next season, the team will graduate four of its five participants in the state championship, but according to Fisher, it “should have seven players, [five boys and two girls,] returning, all of whom should contribute.”

However, other county teams have graduated many of their top players, and Fisher believes that “if individuals returning and trying out for the team practice regularly and play in competition, [CHS] should again be a team to beat.”