Girls tennis’ perfect record results in Division I title

The girls tennis team closed out its regular season matches with huge wins over Bethesda-Chevy Chase, 6-1, Oct. 6 and Whitman, 6-1, Oct. 11 to produce a perfect record for the season.  

Whitman and B-CC are some of the top squads in the county along with CHS. B-CC had been undefeated before playing CHS, and the win over Whitman clinched the Lady Bulldogs Division I title.

“The entire team did their best to beat them,” senior captain Ashley Lin said. “[B-CC is] really good and they beat us last year.”

The girls closed out their season as they prevailed 6-1 over Northwest Oct. 7 and 7-0 over Damascus Oct. 12. The victory over Damascus improved the team to a flawless 11-0 record with counties and regionals coming up.

“We hope to be county champs for the fourth year in a row,” junior Jill Teitelbaum said. “We also hope to have some of our players participate in the state tournament after regionals.”

In the Damascus match, singles player Teitlebaum won her match without dropping a game. Sophomores Jackie Bakos and Lauren Perrine also won their doubles match without losing a single game.

“We have a really strong team this year,” Teitelbaum said. “Some of our new players have definitely helped us defeat some of our tougher teams.”

In the match against Northwest, senior Noor Judeh won 6-0, 6-2 against their star player Lydia Xiao. The team entered counties Oct. 18 and has a bye in the first round.

“We need to stay prepared for each match and finish our last few matches strong,” junior Tanya Bagheri said. “To do well in counties we need to keep practicing and maintain focus.”

In the win over Wootton, Judeh and senior Lauren Pinsky both won their singles matches by a large margin.

Senior captain Danielle Mandir and senior Megan Levy fought tough to eke out a win in their doubles match. In the third set Mandir and Levy climbed out of a two games to nothing deficit to win the match 6-3.

What happens in the county and regional tournaments will determine how many players CHS will enter into the state tournament this spring. Coverage of counties and regionals were too late for this addition of the Observer.

“[We need] to prove we have what it takes to win counties or states,” Mandir said. “We can never give up on a game or set.”