Golf’s strong start on par with past winning seasons

The golf team hopes to replicate last year’s success this season by making it to the state championship, and they are one step closer with wins against Quince Orchard, Richard Montgomery and Walter Johnson Sept. 7.

The Bulldogs beat out those schools by 15 shots, with a total score of 192.

“[It was] a good game,” junior Brandon Fisher said. “[That] was our second match, [so] we’re going to be really good.”

The team had an enjoyable run last year, making it all the way to state finals before falling to Urbana. This year so far the team has only lost once to Damascus, Sept. 16, making them 8-1.

“Last year we placed second in states,” senior captain Brandon Spiegel said. “[So,] I’m looking to get revenge.”

According to coach Mike Fisher, the season will be very competitive, and competing in state finals is not the team’s only goal.

“Our goal is to just keep improving [and] to do well,” Fisher said. “If that means winning, then fine. I’m looking forward to a successful season. [Hopefully we’ll do] well at county and state levels [and have] an enjoyable season.”

The team has had to make up for the loss of four seniors to graduation who were key players to the team: Diana Brown, Sara Habibi, Matt Bank and Beau Hunsinger.

“We lost a lot of seniors, [but] four out of five states players are returning [and] we have a lot of talent,” Spiegel said. “[The team] is a good combination of old and young.”

According to Spiegel, the team is supportive of each other and focused on helping each other to do better and achieve this season’s goals.

“It’s a smart team,” Fisher said. “They know a lot about golf, [and] they’re good on the field at handling situations.”