Girls volleyball sets off with mediocre start

Kicking off the season with a 3-2 victory against Montgomery Blair Sept. 4, the girls volleyball team made a strong statement to the other teams in the league that it has changed for the better.

But following the strong win, CHS suffered a defeat to Blake Sept. 10. The team showed inconsistency in its record as it cruised through Einstein 3-0 Sept. 13 but was beaten by Northwest 1-3 Sept. 16.

“Those two games showed some of our strengths—mentally tough and hardworking, but also some areas we need to improve in such as serving and receiving,” coach Amanda Cook said. “I expect that we will continue to improve our game each day so that we walk away from the season with our heads held high.”

Despite the loss of last year’s seniors Erica Chao and Lucy Wang, the team revitalized the confidence they had lost toward the end of last season with the addition of strong players who can fill the positions in setter and left side hitter.

“We have four returning varsity players, so a little less experience than last year,” Cook said. “However, there is a lot of potential and room for growth, so I believe that we will surprise a few opponents.”

Team practices have shifted focus from individual skills to team strength building and techniques. Cook strongly emphasizes the importance of team chemistry to the team.

“Focusing on individual skills is important, but I believe summer is the time for such improvement,” junior Antonella Tellez said. “Good team chemistry will be vital to this team as each player has excellent skills, but the team itself lacks good chemistry on the court.”

Seniors Clara Sze and Kristie Moy bring tremendous energy and spirit to the team as they encourage other players to be better on and off the court.

“Moy is really the energy of this team as she cheers everyone up for the game while Sze is more of the organizer and the one who helps to unify us as a team,” Tellez said.

Despite the relative inexperience of the team, Cook remains optimistic as each and every player strives to learn and improve, giving 100 percent every practice.

“Advancing to the States may be difficult with a relatively young team, but anything is possible,” Cook said.