Boys Basketball completes sweep of rival Wootton

Coaches in the sports world are often fired for losing to their rivals and praised for beating them. If this is the case at CHS, then boys basketball coach Matthew Miller should consider his job secure after sweeping archrival Wootton for the first time since this senior class has arrived at Churchill.

After a nail-biting 60-58 victory at home over Wootton Jan. 8 behind double-digit scoring performances by senior Jake Eskin and junior Will Lewis, they traveled to Wootton Jan. 29 and left with a 60-48 victory. Both Eskin and Lewis again scored in double figures with Lewis leading the way with 17 points fueled by three three-pointers.

“When you come to Churchill, the first thing people tell you is you have to beat Wootton,” Miller said. “It’s a good accomplishment for our kids, but our team can’t afford to get caught up admiring any victories over Wootton until after the season is over.”

These two wins are thus far the highlight of what is probably Miller’s best coaching job in his short coaching career. After losing two of the greatest Bulldog basketball players of the decade, Miller has his team, which consists of five sophomores and only two seniors, just a game below .500 and playing competitively with every team in the county.

The Bulldogs’ successful season continued as they rolled past Walter Johnson 52-38 Feb. 2. Eskin’s phenomenal season continued with a 20-point performance where he went 10-13 from the free throw line. Sophomore Sam Edens contributed 12 more in his first double-digit scoring output of the season.

Things started off slow for CHS, but after Eskin was held in check for the first quarter, he turned it on in the second and gave the Bulldogs a commanding 28-16 lead at the half. CHS was able to extend its lead to as much as 20 and, though WJ cut the deficit to as little as nine points, CHS was able to hold on for the victory.

CHS has surprised the county as a potential dark horse team to make a playoff run. As with any young team, it has taken time to reach its potential, but everything is coming together at the right time.

CHS  host ed Walter Johnson Feb. 27 in the first round of the playoffs, the first time they have hosted a playoff game since 2007. The Bulldogs swept Walter Johnson in their two regular season meetings and expected a similar outcome this time.

“I definitely think that we are going to surprise a lot of people this year,” Ely said. “We have the potential to go deep into the playoffs and prove many people wrong.”