Golf Places Second at championship

The golf team traveled to Potomac Ridge Golf Course in Waldorf, MD Oct. 19 and 21 looking to defend last year’s state championship. Going into this season, the Bulldogs had won six of the last seven state championships, including five straight from 2002 to 2006. Unfortunately, this year’s team fell just short, finishing second to Urbana High School.
“I feel like overall we did a good job,” junior Bradley Rotter said. “We know we didn’t play up to our potential, but we can’t be disappointed with second in the whole state.”
The Bulldogs shot a respectable 331 in the first round Oct. 19, keeping them within a few shots of the lead. However, despite a slight improvement to 329, Urbana was able to stave off the hard-charging Bulldogs, holding on for an eight-stroke victory.
“Realistically, we did all we really could, it just wasn’t enough this year,” Rotter said. “I don’t think anyone is really pleased with how they played except maybe [senior captain Diana Brown].”
Brown, who was the Bulldogs’ lowest scorer in the regular season, continued to put up impressive numbers, shooting team lows of 78 and 76 to take the girls’ individual state championship. The reigning All-Gazette player of the year blew the competition out of the water on the back nine after a somewhat shaky start.
“I expected her to do well and she let everyone else know exactly how good she is,” coach Mike Fisher said. “She’s very disciplined and trains harder than everyone.”
Brown and the rest of the team blew away the county competition during the regular season, finishing first in seven of nine matches and second in the other two.
“The season was a success,” Fisher said. “We established ourselves as the best team in the county, and we got the respect of other teams we played with and against.”
It is hard to imagine CHS being anything but a powerhouse when it comes to golf, and next year should be no different.
“We’re looking very good because three of the four who played in the state championship are returning,” Fisher said.
With such a strong core returning, the Bulldogs should be as competitive as ever and will look to get back to championship form.