Athlete of the Month: Pam Vranis

An ACL tear can kill a career and shatter dreams. However, an ACL injury can also be inspiration to improve an athlete’s game to the next level. That is the approach senior captain Pam Vranis is taking.

Vranis was named second team All-Met during her sophomore season and is in the middle of her fourth season on varsity. While playing with her club team in the offseason, she tore her ACL and missed her entire junior campaign.

“I was so mad,” Vranis said. “I couldn’t believe it happened to me, and I just kept thinking of how I was not going to play the high school season or in important college showcases.”

Fortunately for Vranis, she has had no problem drawing the attention of college recruiters. She recently committed to play at Johns Hopkins where her older brother Neil also plays soccer.

Vranis said Neil motivated her to make a name for herself.

“My dad always kind of favored my brother, so it was just showing him that I could play at the same level,” Vranis said. “It was building my own name, not just ‘Neil’s sister.’”

Vranis has had no problem making a name for herself this year. She already has 11 goals, surpassing her career high.

“The reason why she is such a good player comes from the fact that she is always aware of what is going on around her on the field,” coach Haroot Hakopian said. “Many gifted players are skilled, the exceptional ones are aware of the flow of the game.”

Vranis’ leadership also sets her apart from other elite players. Vranis is a captain for the second straight season despite not playing in a game last year. On a young team, she is the glue that holds the players together.

“She helps out with all the problems because she can relate,” junior Alexis Shay said. “She works so hard and her hard work spreads to the rest of the team.”

As Vranis’ high school career is drawing closer to its end, she has shown no signs of letting up. With two games left in the regular season, Vranis has netted at least one goal in every game but also shares the ball well with five assists and always looks to be a team player. Her “team first” attitude has led the Bulldogs to a currently undefeated record.

“She constantly works hard and pushes herself beyond the established limits,” Hakopian said. “If the team leader is doing that, the other players naturally follow.”