Golf team seeks back-to-back state championships

The golf team has so far met the high expectations for this year thanks to the strong leadership that has helped it stay on track as it goes into the postseason with a 16-2 record.
After losing several seniors last year, the team has depended on the upperclassmen to earn its record.

“Seniors Diana Brown and Brian Perrine have both shot under par so far and senior Evan Scott has continued his dominance by being top three in the county in scoring,”coach Mike Fisher said. “But since our third match, juniors Bradley Rotter and Brandon Spiegel have really stepped up their game.”

The team hopes to build off its regular season momentum and make a run at another state championship this year. Underclassmen are also expected to step up their game as they head into the postseason.

“We have a deeper group of players than we did last year and that will help us in the playoffs,” Scott said. “Everybody can play top 30 in the county, and if we play well like we have been, we will have a chance to go to and win states. We will need the help of our sophomores and freshmen greatly down the stretch.”

The captains have their work cut out for them, as they will be responsible for setting an example for the rest of the team.

“I expect our captains to show leadership by assisting the other team members and me in preparing us for what will be faced both in school and in competition,” Fisher said. “They were chosen because they are not only respected by me, but by the team. I am very fortunate to have them as part of my team.”

Even though the team could be better than last year’s state championship team, the competition in their division has toughened up as well.

“The matches were very competitive,” Fisher said. “I knew that they were going to be so competitive. We incurred several losses from these matches that we will grow from.”

For Fisher, the pressure is on to maintain the level of success that the team has had in past years.

“Coaches from opposing schools have told me that CHS golf’s 12 State Championships is an accomplishment that few schools in any sport can boast,” Fisher said.

The squad only had a few teams to worry about during the regular season, but one team has always posed a huge threat to their championship chances in states.

“Our only competition will come from Damascus and maybe one or two other schools in the regional championship, but if we get into the state championship, North Point in Waldorf has always been our biggest rival,” Scott said.