Girls Soccer rolls through early games

“Break a leg” is a common expression generally meaning good luck. However, when junior Meili Sohl broke her leg in the first girls soccer scrimmage, it was anything but lucky.
The team was expecting Sohl to step up as a key midfielder for the team this season.  Despite her injury, the girls soccer team expects a complete turn-around after a 5-6-1 finish last season.
“Losing her obviously has an effect on our play, but it is a loss emotionally as well,” Hakopian said.  “We have a very close-knit team and a serious injury like Meili’s affects all of us.”
The Bulldogs lost just one starter from last year’s team and have four players returning who missed last season due to injury.  The core of the team this season will be its juniors.

CHS was without senior Pam Vranis last season after tearing a knee ligament.  As a sophomore, she was an All-Met selection and star forward for the team.

“Having Vranis back from her ACL injury is going to make a huge impact on our team this year,” junior Rachel Marincola said.  “She’s really an amazing player and I think she’ll help us a lot.”

Along with Vranis, expectations are high for Marincola, junior Alexis Shay and sophomore Jenna Cantor.  The team is full of talent, but Hakopian knows players must work hard in order to reach their potential.

“This year, our focus has been understanding that we are talented, but realizing that talent by itself is not enough,” Hakopian said.

The team started off the season with a dominating 7-0 victory over Bullis and a strong 2-0 victory over Sidwell Friends.  There is immense excitement surrounding the Bulldogs who are currently ranked fourth in the county rankings.  They opened their county schedule with a 3-1 victory over Northwest Sept. 22.  Vranis added two goals and junior Mariah Schoch had a goal in the victory.

Many of the players are looking ahead to their second county game against Walter Johnson.  Former CHS assistant coach Liz Friedman took the head coaching job at Walter Johnson prior to this season.

“We want to show her that she made the wrong decision in leaving our team,” Vranis jokingly said.

The Bulldogs believe the Walter Johnson game will be a good test of where they stand in comparison to the rest of the county. 

“We are excited for the season and expect to contend for a regional title,” Hakopian said.