Volleyball falls short of playoff hopes

The young, inexperienced boys volleyball team endured a tough season, tallying a 2-11 record and failing to make the playoffs. With only two upperclassmen, senior captain Stephen Eng and junior Geoffrey Wang, to provide leadership, the team suffered from lack of leadership on and off the court.
After losing consecutive games to Damacus, Sherwood, Walter Johnson and Richard Montgomery, the team got a free win from Seneca Valley who forfeited. After another loss to Whitman April 17, the team bounced back with an impressive 3-1 victory over Gaithersburg April 20.
“The only two wins at Seneca Valley and Gaithersburg were an eye opener for our team,” sophomore Lan Jiang said. “Our weaknesses really stood out, it proved how important leadership from the upperclassmen is to the team.”
In response to the lack of leadership, the team worked to alter practices to try to develop the skills of young players.
“In our pre-game stretches, all the players were nervous but determined to win at the same time,” freshman Kevin Teng said. “We never went out to the court thinking that we were going to lose again.”

Eng, the only senior on the team, had a major impact on the team’s progress on and off the court.

“Stephen was the core of the team that held us together in times of confusion and disappointment,” sophomore Eric Lee said. “He kept everyone motivated to play with his high energy and positivity.”
To help the progress of the younger players, Eng dedicated time to advising them on specific skills and worked with them individually.

“During practice, I would have one-on-one interactions, guiding players on what to do and what not to do,” Eng said. “Playing my hardest helped instill the right attitude to my team members.”
After Eng graduates, the team looks to rely on rising senior Wang and key sophomores Eric Sohn and Jiang, who have been on the team since freshman year.

“We will come out next year as a much better and improved team,” Sohn said. “If we put in the same amount of effort and determination, I believe we have a shot at the playoffs.”