Changes Made to Club Night and Club Application System

In courtesy of Isabel Hertz

“Cause for Paws” is just one of the many new clubs created this year.

By Lauren Roseman, News Editor

Teacher club sponsors, teachers and students attended Club Night at 7 p.m. on Sept. 29 in the Cafeteria.

According to Assistant School Administrator La Faye Burris, there were 83 clubs presenting for Club Night.

“Student officers were able to showcase different aspects of their clubs in a variety of ways; displaying information on tri-fold boards, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, project displays, performances, and the like,” Burris said.

According to junior Isabel Hertz, Club Night is useful in promoting brand new clubs that people had not heard of.  149 people signed up for her club “Cause for Paws” at Club Night.

“It was really beneficial to our club because without it we probably wouldn’t have been able to get the message out there as clearly and effectively,” Hertz said.

Students who wanted to renew or start a club first submitted forms to Burris.  Principal Joan Benz and Burris then reviewed the clubs and decided which clubs would stay and which would go.

“Not all clubs were renewed,” Burris said.  “We did not want clubs that repeated; hence, more than one club that had the same goals.”

This year, many changes have been made to Club Night and the club system in general.

“An accurate database for clubs was needed in addition to effective monitoring of clubs to ensure they were actually meeting and working to accomplish the goals that they identified for their groups of students,” Burris said.  “ In addition, there was no accurate information regarding clubs on the Churchill Website, and no club information for the front office information center.  No files or current database existed.”

The changes for this school year are designed to create stronger communication regarding CHS clubs.

“A new database has been created; all important parties are aware of what we offer here and can communicate this information to anyone who requests it.” Burris said.  “At any given time, administration and staff can check the newly updated club information page on the website to answer a question they may have, or to confirm a club actually exists and is meeting at least once a month.  Club teacher sponsors, student officers, meeting days and times are made explicit.”

Students who join clubs and parents who want to know what their children are participating in will have a clear understanding.”

The changes are also made to ensure the all of the clubs have a clear and direct purpose, and to ensure that they are actually used.
“Clubs that are not meeting or functioning at the level that they communicated will be revisited and may be eliminated from the Churchill Club list due to inactivity.”