CHS Student Walks for Suicide Prevention

A picture of people walking for AFSP, shot for a documentary about suicide experiences and prevention.

Photo Courtesy of theswordmovie.com

By Kyle Emery, Sports Editor

The CHS school year of 2015-2016 witnessed two devastating losses from students who committed suicide. Fortunately, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention(AFSP) not only seeks to help others who maybe struggling but, helps to unify the community by gathering walks and creating connections amongst people, helping to save lives everyday.

The AFSP aids those struggling with suicidal thoughts and depression in order to help prevent any further actions. The foundation is hosting a D.C. walk for suicide prevention called “Out of the Darkness” on October 22nd, starting at 4:30 pm. This walk will help gather the community as well as those that may experience suicidal actions.

“[The walk] is a great way of getting rid of stigma and to help raise awareness of suicide prevention,” junior Gabriella Baker said.

Baker will be attending the walk this Saturday in memory of her father’s suicide that occurred two years ago as well as in honor of suicide prevention and to help those struggling with suicidal thoughts.

“[The walk] helps people [who are] afraid of talking about their problems and to not be ashamed of what they have been through,” Baker said.

According to AFSP, Thanks to Walkers and Donors, AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.

Baker invites all to come and support the event on Saturday in order to help raise more support as well as awareness for the foundation.

“I have posted the event on social media as well as plan to give out flyers when selling the UMTTR t-shirts this week,” Baker said.