Libraries incorporate e-books

Can’t find another source for that English essay due tomorrow? Don’t worry; CHS students no longer have to agonize over the idea of getting out of the house and heading over to the local library in search of a particular book they just can’t find.

The Potomac Library started following the Montgomery County Public Libraries’ (MCPL) system in October that allows members to download eBooks online from their home computers.

“This system-wide program has recently become more popular throughout the nation because of its efficiency,” Montgomery County public librarian Mimi Bolotin said. “All you need is a county library card number to access the books.”

According to the MCPL homepage, there are more than 5,000 eBooks, magazines and newspapers available as well as online instructions and assistance from librarians through online chat. The website also offers titles that can be read on Kindles, iPads and iPhones.

Senior Nachu Bhatnagar prefers using his iPhone to reading print books.

“Since I read very frequently and often multiple books at the same time, it saves me a lot of hassle to just have a bunch of books in my pocket,” Bhatnagar said.

The eBooks are circulated in a way similar to the way that hard copy books are circulated. There is a seven to 14 day loan on all items except classic titles, which are always available and have no expiration period.

“One fact that needs to be made clear is that there is not an excess amount of books,” Bolotin said. “Sometimes they are not available and must be placed on hold.”

The libraries only loan out a certain amount of eBooks, leading members to question whether eBooks are more efficient than print books.

According to CHS librarian Paige Pagley, CHS is considering purchasing Kindles or Nooks as its first step into what she sees as the “wave of the future.” Online books will offer even more information than the shorter articles provided by CHS online databases.

Many students prefer finding information online than looking at a book, but some feel otherwise.

“It is definitely a good idea but to me, a book is not just the words,” junior Erica Roberts said. “It’s the smell and sound of flipping pages.”