Join the Walk for Hope

The ninth annual Walk for Hope, a breast cancer research fundraising walk, will take place Oct. 11 at Cabin John Regional Park and is expected to boast 1,500 participants of all ages.  All proceeds for the walk go directly to City of Hope, a breast cancer research facility. 

The event is advertised and operates as a family-centered event.  Its 4k run and walk as well as its 1k walk are open to all ages and family pets on leashes. 

“The thing we do to make it a family event is that our registration hour before the event begins is full of family activities such as music and free food [and entertainment by teenagers,]” event creator and coordinator Susan Eisen said.  “We have moon-bounces and face-painting, free manicures, free back-massages, and a videogame van.  It’s very family friendly.  There are clowns and magicians.”

Eisen started the event to increase awareness of the gravity of breast cancer and honor a loved one who was diagnosed with and survived the disease. 

“I started it because my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer back when we were 25 years old,” Eisen said.  “I really started the event to get awareness out in the community. Breast cancer is not something quiet and it shouldn’t be something we are afraid to talk about. My goal was to put it out there without shame.”

Eisen finds that the most rewarding part of the event is interacting with the participants and volunteers.

“It is so inspiring to hear their stories; to hear why they want to be involved, to hear what their passion is about wanting to raise money for breast cancer,” Eisen said.  “It inspires me to do my job that much better and that much harder.  I feel like I get to know people form the inside out because they are honest with me about what is important to them.  It’s very motivating.”

Online registration closes on Oct. 11 and costs $45 for adults, and $25 for children 12 and under.  Registration on the event day is $50 for adults and $30 for youth.  Online registration is open at www.walkforhope.org.