Hidden gems in the country’s most powerful city

By Nathan Deychman, Sports Editor

Montgomery County’s proximity to our nation’s capital allows CHS students to journey there all the time, whether to experience the world’s largest collection of museums or to see some of the most recognizable monuments right in our nation’s capital.

After a while, however, it can get a bit repetitive.

“Once you have been there so many times, you start to run out of ideas for what to do,” senior Eric Russ said.

As local residents and non-tourists, it is difficult for some CHS students to find attractions and activities that spark their interests.

“It’s a great place to walk around in,” sophomore Andrew Kurapov said. “But I go less often now than I did before. It is not as fun as it used to be.”

After searching for a solution, the Observer found some of the D.C. area’s hidden wonders.

Crispus Attucks Park

Named after the first person shot during the Boston Massacre of 1770, Crispus Attucks Park is known for having a secluded and relaxing atmosphere. This popular urban park includes lots of green space, benches and trails. Located in the Bloomingdale sector of D.C., Crispus Attucks Park is the perfect place to have a picnic, read a book or simply relax. If you are looking for a quiet and isolated place to go, this park is the one.

Aquatic Gardens

Nestled near the banks of the Anacostia River, this D.C. attraction is scarcely known. The Aquatic Gardens is a short walk away from the Deanwood Metro station and is home to dozens of ponds and miniature grasslands. This collection of greenery is the perfect getaway for anyone who is in need of peace and quiet.

National Arboretum

Also known as “Mr. Miyagi’s Happy Place” this garden-like attraction is host to the nation’s largest collection of bonsai trees. Visitors will be surprised by how interesting bonsai is, and as an added bonus, they will love the free experience. The Arboretum is a perfect place to spend an afternoon looking at flowers and taking in the beauty of the surrounding greenery.

DEA Museum

Arguably the most underrated museum in the entire city, the Drug Enforcement Association (DEA) Museum contains a vast collection of interactive exhibits chronicling the history of drugs and the DEA’s enforcement in the U.S. Some of the perks of the museum include a free audio guide tour, free admission and an incomparable learning experience on some of the nation’s most prevalent problems today.

Barracks Row

Barracks Row is the nickname of the commercial strip along Capitol Hill. This area is often overlooked by visitors, but the strip has a variety of restaurants that can satisfy any craving. It is an excellent place to spend a few hours eating and having fun while also enjoying a great view of Capitol Hill. Barracks Row is easily accessible, located near Union Station.

Atlas District

Also located near Capitol Hill, the Atlas District is an arts and entertainment hub that is part of a neighborhood branding campaign built around the revitalized Atlas Theater. The cosmopolitan vibe of the district allows anyone to enjoy a theater performance, a movie or anything else that peaks their interest. This area also holds several restaurants and dessert shops.

Dangerously Delicious Pies

D.C.’s Dangerously Delicious Pies is a local favorite, and many locals claim that they serve the best pie in town. All of their pies are made from scratch to ensure that their customers receive the best pie possible. Although it’s a bit pricey, this little pie shop makes every penny’s worth of each buy. Their pie truck also travels through the city every day, stopping at various locations. Those who are lucky enough to come across the pie truck should absolutely give it a try. The shop is located in the Atlas District.

Dumbarton Oaks

Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection is a historic estate in Georgetown, home to a beautiful garden and a large collection of  Byzantine and Pre-Columbian art, European masterpieces on view in the historic Music Room and a rotating program of Special Exhibitions. Perfect for anyone interested in history, Dumbarton Oaks also has limited crowds, allowing for a more wholesome experience.