‘As Seen on TV’ brings TV products to mall

High school students, along with the rest of the nation, have been hypnotized by the seemingly amazing and useful products advertised on TV, such as the Magic Bullet and Bumpits. These items are commonly referred to as “As Seen on TV” products and can be bought from a new store in Montgomery Mall.
The As Seen on TV store in Montgomery
Mall, which opened the week of March 20, is located downstairs near Old Navy and Wetzel’s Pretzels.
“The store is rather new,” said an As Seen on TV sales associate, who declined to give his name. “Many teenagers
come to our store.”
According to the As Seen on TV website, the stores have a selection of over 1,500 different products. Based on a survey of 75 CHS students, the most commonly owned products are the Snuggie, Shamwow and Pillow Pet.
Some students feel that ordering over the phone is easier, while others say that it is more convenient to go to the local store for the products.
“I would feel more comfortable buying
at the store because I would get to see the item before I buy it,” sophomore Lars Phillips said.
The Snuggie, the original blanket with sleeves, claims to keep people warm and their hands free in a comfortable way. Nearly 50 percent of the 75 students polled bought and love their Snuggies. Generally, students find that the Snuggie is worth its price of $19.95, and would recommend it to anyone who feels inclined
to own one after being persuaded by the convincing commercial.
“The material is bad quality because the fabric gets really staticy,” freshman Zach Raizon said. “But it’s nice and fuzzy.”
The Shamwow promises to be the best solution for any messy clean-up. Its commercial claims that it works wet or dry and will cut any job time in half. The product is machine washable, which is a good selling point in the eyes of anyone going green. However, some CHS users believe that the Shamwow is a scam because it’s no different than any other classic clean-up tool.
“It does not do anything,” said junior Peter Heilbron, who owns a Shamwow. “It does not really mop up the mess, but the commercial made me want to buy it.”
Pillow Pets were an instant hit among CHS students. The advertisements claim the product to be soft, durable
and machine-washable. The price of this item ranges from $15.99 to $24.99, depending on the model. Travelers often use this fun and easy full-size pillow for trips.
“Mine is a pink poodle and I got it from the mall,” senior Haley Trost said.
Students have mixed opinions regarding As Seen on TV products and how they work. Multiple students
believe they are a scam, while others feel they are appropriate for many situations.
“Some of the products are kind of out there and useless,” freshman Zack Weinberg said. “Some of them I can see have a useful purpose. The products are convenient for things you do not want to do or want to do better.