Students listen up with music-hiding hoodies

During the 21st century technology boom, inventions such as the iPad, electronic books and other Internet-related devices have shaped a fast-paced society where technology and convenience have manipulated everyone’s lives.  The latest invention can be seen throughout CHS—audio hoodies.
Audio hoodies are new sweatshirts that allow people to listen to their musical devices through a small cord in the pocket of the sweatshirt.  This cord runs through the body of the sweatshirt and then links to ear buds that are connected to the drawstrings of the hoody. 
“My mom gave me the sweatshirt for Christmas,” Krause said.  “I heard about them through my friends.”
The sweatshirts can be bought at various locations including Old Navy, HoodieBuddie.com and Skullcandy suppliers.
According to sophomore Samantha Mutai, she bought her sweatshirt from Old Navy for around $20, but they can cost up to $45 depending on the brand. 
Many students are intrigued by the sweatshirts’ ability to allow them to secretly listen to their music during school without being noticed.  Additionally, the sweatshirts come in a variety of color and pattern combinations for both boys and girls that camouflage the ear buds. 
“When I bought my sweatshirt, I saw logos like Superman and Coca-Cola, as well as patchwork designs,” sophomore Setareh Soltani-Nia said.  
Many students who are drawn to these stylish sweatshirts do not think it poses an issue with paying attention during school.
“Since I got the sweatshirt my grades have not been affected, so my parents do not mind me listening to music during school,” Soltani-Nia said.  
While some people can overlook the possible distracting qualities of these devices, teachers still have to abide by school rules and a student will face consequences for listening to audio hoodies in class.  Due to the fact that listening to iPods during times other than lunch is banned at CHS, if students are caught listening to their iPods through the sweatshirt, the iPod will be confiscated. The sweatshirt, however, will not be.
According to security guard Terry Bell, the sweatshirt is not the problem; the problem is what can be hooked up to the sweatshirt.  Listening to iPods during class, even through a sweatshirt, violates school policy, and teachers are expected to take away the device.
However, some students find that the hoodies are not as distracting as one would think.
“Listening to the audio hoodie helps me concentrate,” Krause said.  “It is relaxing and depending on the subject it can definitely help me focus.”