Hunger for Sandwich Club provokes its return

Something has been missing the last two years that no one has really been able to put their finger on: an important fixture of CHS culture left us following the 2007-2008 school year.  Fear not, however, because it has made its triumphant return to the school, once again ready to be enjoyed by all.  What is this ever-essential entity that has been gone for way too long?  Why, it’s none other than Club Sandwich. 
Club Sandwich, a school-sponsored club created by sandwich lovers for sandwich lovers, focuses on all aspects of the popular lunch food.  Originally founded in 2007, the club disbanded after spring 2008.  Fortunately for sandwich-enthusiasts throughout CHS, club co-presidents and seniors Bret Johnson, Ben Culleen and Matthew Brothers have re-established the club after a two-year hiatus.
“Matthew, Ben and I all had older brothers who were in [the original Club Sandwich] and we wanted to continue it,” Johnson said.  “It is [primarily] a gentleman’s club to honor sandwiches [which] are a vital part of human history, and it’s an excuse to go out and eat at sandwich places.”
The club presidents plan to hold meetings a few times every month, and while there is not always a set agenda to every meeting, rest assured there will be everything a CHS sandwich aficionado could desire.
“At meetings we appreciate sandwiches and their consumption, talk about which foods can be classified as sandwiches and go out to eat various sandwiches,” Johnson said.
While the organization may seem all in good fun, there are several serious issues that the club plans to regularly address at meetings.  According to Culleen, one of the more pressing problems facing modern sandwich lovers today is sandwich extinction. 
“You don’t see all that many whole wheat sandwiches anymore,” Culleen said.  “When was the last time you saw a good pita sandwich?  It has gone away and we have got to save it.”
To keep everyone involved, every member is given a highly prestigious position upon entry into the club.  Titles like the Baron of Bacon, Sandwich Enforcer, Designated Sandwich Maker, Vice President of Something and Duke of Dijon are just some of the esteemed ranks given to the most important members of the club.
“Club members must have a hereditary noble title like ‘duke’ or ‘earl,’” Cullen said.  “[Members also] must be very committed to anything.  I don’t even care if it’s related to the club.  They just have to be committed to something and have money to go out at lunch.”
According to club sponsor and social studies teacher Amanda Marshall, in addition to an unwavering commitment to, well, whatever you want, every Club Sandwich member has “hunger, creativity and a good sense of humor.”
When the club presidents first brought the concept to Marshall, she was amused at the notion of such a club.
“I thought it was kind of silly, but everyone has an interest [in sandwiches],” Marshall said.  “We discuss if anyone had any interesting new sandwiches, discuss lunch, what we’re eating and have a meal plan.”
The two years without Club Sandwich were dark days indeed in the history of CHS.  It should come as a relief to all students that the school is no longer deprived of such a prestigious club, gracing students with an unprecedented opportunity to look deeply into the matters of all things sandwich.