Hallway greetings call for new handshake practices

In the past decade, many things at CHS have happened.   But something has changed at CHS over the past decade too: how people say hi to classmates in the hallway.
In the past, students just said hi to each other.  But with this new and ever-changing generation of teens, greetings range from very subtle to ostentatious.
Many of these new handshakes include a combination of alternate handshakes, twists, fist bumps and explosions out of the fist bump.
“When I say hey to people, [first] I do the traditional handshake then wrap my hand around their thumb and do a snap with my fingers,” junior Will Conway said.
Changes have also been made in the demonstration of brotherly love.
“Sometimes I do the bro hug double back tap combo with my friends,” junior Julian Traversa said.
With these changes also come the clever ways of utilizing greetings differently.  Fist bumps often transition into the stick shift and the awkward snail.  Highfives can change into the awkward turkey and the jellyfish.  Even hugs can turn into the stingray.  Confused yet?
The awkward snail occurs when one of the two people fist bumping moves under the other’s fist and makes bunny ears, creating the awkward snail.  The stick shift also occurs during a fist bump but only when one person then clasps their hand over the other’s fist to make the image of someone shifting gears in a car.
“I really like the awkward snail because it’s extra awkward,” junior Mary Anderson said.
The awkward turkey maneuver is derived from the standard high five and can be done if one person makes a fist with their thumb sticking out and puts it in the middle of the other’s palm with the thumb facing away from the other person’s hand.  However, the jellyfish occurs when one person pulls back their high five by making it move away by simulating a jellyfish swimming.
According to Riguax, his favorite is also the awkward snail “because it looks like what it is.”
The stingray can be done with hugs and is the same as the jellyfish but instead the arms move away from the other person like a jellyfish.
With all these new greetings, handshakes and high fives, students have definitely made the hallway more interesting.  The diversity of all the different styles is truly amazing, and who knows what new greetings will be created next.