Is there truth behind the POWER BRACELET trend?

Throughout the halls of CHS, there seems to be an abundance of students sporting something on their wrists that looks like a hybrid between a watch and a white livestrong band. Others wear a nest of tangled material around their necks and wrists. What are these new accessories?
Up-and-coming companies PowerBalance and Phiten have released products that they claim have special effects on whoever wears them.
According to the PowerBalance website, each band has two holograms that resonate within the body’s natural energy field to create an equilibrium that increases the wearer’s strength, balance and flexibility.

“For the last several years, I have had back pains, especially after long bike rides,” social studies teacher Rodney Van Tassell said. “After using the [PowerBalance] band, my back feels significantly better, my flexibility has improved, and I no longer experience pain.”

The popularity of this specific wristband started over the summer when many basketball stars, including Lamar Odom and Shaquille O’Neal, wore them throughout the NBA playoffs. Since then, more and more athletes have endorsed this product.

According to Matthew Morgan, a representative for PowerBalance, the hologram placed inside the band is programmed with the same frequency that red blood cells resonate at. The balance in frequency improves cell-to-cell communication that allows the human body to operate at a better rate.

Not everyone  always understands these technological and scientific assertions, but many still chose to wear them.

“There are a lot of complicated claims, but I [do not] think they are all true,” said sophomore Matt Leonard, who has a PowerBalance. “I wear them because they look really cool.”

Phiten also has a “magic” product that has recently gained popularity and is geared towards, but not limited to, baseball players.
“Many baseball players wear [Phiten products] because it gives them more energy and helps them recover at a faster rate,” said junior Michael Zuckerman, a CHS baseball player who wears Phiten necklaces and wristbands. “I always feel like I play better when I wear [the bracelet]; when I don’t, I feel like I’m missing something.”

According to its website, Phiten was the first company to actually create accessories that would help athletes relieve fatigue. They created an entire line of necklaces, sleeves, t-shirts and even stickers all possessing a special titanium technology.

While the accessories are mainly aimed at increasing athletic ability, some people believe they have other benefits as well.
“Ever since I started wearing it, I have gotten much better sleep than I used to,” sophomore Hugues Massala said.

According to Julie Elion, a mental coach who works with professional athletes, the placebo effect plays a role in the athletic performance of the wearer. If the wearer believes that either the PowerBalance or Phiten works, then the power of belief will influence the mind and body.
Although some people can feel a difference in everyday activity because of the bracelets, others are still skeptical.

“[These products are] almost too good to be true,” Elion said. “Society is always looking for the magic pill or the easy fix, and unfortunately, it does not work that way.”