Breakfast is key to staying alert during the day

Everyone has experienced a rush in the morning when breakfast is forgotten and the stomach is letting out huge growls. Eating a healthy breakfast in the morning keeps teens full until lunch, and can even help them focus better in school. 

People say breakfast is the most important meal of the day because in reality, grabbing something to eat before you head off to school can do a lot of good. 

According to the MayoClinic, an online health site, children and adolescents who eat breakfast are more likely to concentrate better, be more alert, be more creative and be more physically active than those who skip breakfast.

Protein, fiber and nutrients are the key to keeping people full and healthy. 

According to CNN health, if a person only eats refined carbohydrates, he or she will likely be hungry again in as little as two hours. 

Although it’s most likely recommended that people eat the same thing in order to stay healthy and full, people should eat different things based on their gender and lifestyle. 

“Typically as a rule of thumb 20-25 percent of a person’s daily caloric requirement should come from breakfast that includes whole grains, dairy and fruit,” local registered dietician Livleen Gill said.  

Students should think about eating healthy before school, because the healthier choice is the one that keeps you fuller. 

“Commercially prepared muffins, donuts and frozen waffles are high in fat, low in fiber and devoid of essential nutrients,” Gill said.

It’s hard enough to get up for school in the morning, but adding breakfast to the routine takes too much time for some people.

“I usually get hungry during first period, but I just wait until lunch,” junior Daniel Machles said. 

For other students, getting breakfast into their daily morning routine is not the problem, the problem is staying full. 

According to sophomore Elisa Rogers, who eats a bagel in the car every morning on her way to school, she still gets hungry during third period. 

Eating a healthy breakfast can keep you more alert and focused during school. Packing a snack to eat during school when you get hungry is a good idea, and you wont have to face another embarrassing stomach growling moment again.