The ‘Observer’ offers tips for a stylish summer

Summer 2009 is fast approaching, so it’s time to clean out your closets, get rid of your sweaters and pants and replace them with the hottest spring and summer fashion trends.

Girls, stock up on your bright colors and peace signs this year and guys, make sure you own a pair of dunks and a rugby shirt.

Karen Kearney is the owner of Lipstick Lounge, a store for teen girls in the Kentlands where customers can make an appointment to bring in and sell their clothing and accessories. The store owners will select the items that they feel are sellable and pay sellers up front.

“Some fashion trends now are ethnic prints, maxi dresses, cut-off jean shorts and jackets, boyfriend fit jeans, long necklaces, charm necklaces and bootie looking sandals,” Kearney said. “Matchy outfits, micro mini dresses, belly shirts and hugely embellished clothing [are not in style anymore].”

According to sophomore Alex Zohore, v-neck t-shirts are in for guys, as well as yellow and lime green clothing.

For girls, some things to consider getting rid of are skull and bones, leggings, black or gray from head to toe, sequins, capris and nude lipstick.

“Spring/summer 2009 is about long flowy maxi dresses, ethnic and colorful prints, colorful purses and shoes,” Kearney said. “Boyfriend fit capris, jeans are really big, as well as big, beaded jewelry and belts.”

Guys should think about purple, yellow, royal blue and straight leg and dark wash jeans.

According to Kearney, cut out sandals and booties with the toes cut out are in style.

This season, colors are being put together that previously would not have been considered, and clothes should not be perfectly matched.