Netflix Originals Keep Viewers Queued Up

Winona Rider stars as Joyce Byers in the latest Netflix Original, “Stranger Things.” Netflix has gained popularity with its multitude of Original TV shows and movies that are being released this year.

By Sophie Liss and Nora Holland, Social Media Editor and Contest Manager

When CHS students are not doing sports, school work, or extracurricular activities, they’re probably binge-watching shows on Netflix.

Netflix Originals are TV shows and movies created and produced by Netflix. They have become increasingly popular among CHS students. Some of the most popular include “Stranger Things,” “Fuller House,” and “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.”

Stranger Things
“Stranger Things” has been an extremely popular TV show ever since it first was released in July and is rated 9.1 out of 10 on IMDb.com. The show is set in Hawkins, Indiana in 1983 and stars Winona Ryder as the mother of Will Byers, a young boy who goes missing one fall night. The story focuses on Will’s friends and family’s efforts to find him and bring him home despite many frightening and mysterious challenges that get in their way.
“Stranger Things” is suspenseful, frightening, and at times even humorous. It is a perfect show for anyone who wants something with a mystery that will keep them guessing until the last episode, relatable characters and a sensational soundtrack that accurately embodies the show’s 1980s theme.
“I loved ‘Stranger Things,’” sophomore Jerry Wang said. “The fact that it was released by Netflix benefits the story because Netflix allows for a viewer to binge a bunch of episodes at once instead of having to wait a week for each new development.”

Fuller House
“Fuller House” is a sequel to the popular 90s television series “Full House” and follows D.J. Tanner as she raises her three children with the help of her sister, Stephanie, and her best friend, Kimmy. While it was widely anticipated, its reviews have been mostly negative and it has an average Rotten Tomatoes rating of 33 percent.
The show is filled with nostalgia and an abundance of references to the original ABC hit, Full House, making it a great binge for big fans of the characters and show. However, many popular characters from the original show are not included in the spin-off and the plot is very similar to plot of the original series.
“I think that most people are still hung up on the original “Full House” characters and are disappointed that all of the original characters are not involved in the new show,” sophomore Nikkia Zarabian said.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
The “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” is among the more well- known Netflix originals. This show tells the story of Kimmy, a “mole woman” who spent 15 years underground with a cult who believe they were the last survivors of an apocalypse. She spontaneously decides to live in New York and soon gains a peculiar job as a nanny for a rich family. She lives in a closet and makes a bunch of new friends. The show is quirky and humorous, perfect for watching when you want a good laugh.
“It is really different from all other shows because it does not hold back in being really weird,” said senior Vicente Rudolph.
So whether you need to procrastinate from doing your homework or you need a new show to binge watch, these Netflix originals are definitely the way to go.