Drama department puts on ‘Legally Blonde’

This spring, the CHS drama department will put on Legally Blonde as its annual musical instead of Blast which usually takes place in the spring but was held in Dec.

The musical is based off of the movie of the same name, where a sorority girl overcomes stereotypes and goes to Harvard Law School to win back her love.

“I like the message of the show, which is don’t judge a book by its cover,” director Carlos Barillo said. “By the end of the show, there will be a new appreciation for the message of the show.”

According to Barillo, the show will be fun to be in and watch.

“The play actually follows the movie very closely,” said senior Genny Austin, who plays Elle Woods. “The only real additions are the musical numbers and dance routines that are intertwined within the plot.”

The cast is hoping that the show will be exciting and lively.

“We just started preparing, but it looks like it is going to be a good show,” said junior Jordan Li, who plays Warner Huntington III. “This year’s musical differs from previous years in that the plot is more appealing to young audiences.”

Even though the movie and play are well-known, Austin is striving to make the character unique.

“I have been fighting the urge to follow the original Elle from the movie as well as the Elle I saw on Broadway,” Austin said. “I can connect with a lot of what she goes through, and I try to work off of that to make the role my own.”

Once again, the CHS drama students are showing their commitment and dedication to putting on the best show possible.

“Each week we rehearse four to five days for two-three hours,” Austin said. “The tech crew, band, costumes, and cast are all working every day.”

Just as in the movie, where Elle’s friendships propel her forward, the older students are making sure that there is a family-like atmosphere.

“It’s intimidating being a freshman,” said Sloane Momsen, who plays Brooke Wyndham. “But the cast has been like a family to me.”

The play debuts April 20 and runs for two consecutive weekends on Friday and Saturday nights.

“Beyond the silly humor and light-hearted jokes lies a story about going after your dreams because you believe that you can, even with the whole world against you,” Austin said. “It is a show that will leave everyone smiling and with all the stress and work that we are constantly involved in, sometimes we are in dire need of a smile.”