Foxy Shazam pays homage to classic rock

In the mood for some rock ‘n’ roll that strays from the normal? Look no further, for the Queenophiliacs of Foxy Shazam just released their third studio album, The Church of Rock and Roll.

Judging by the title, this album is built at least a little bit to pay homage to what was once considered classic rock ‘n’ roll, adding a modern punk twist including melodic riffs and lyrics that range from heartfelt to raunchy.

Rock and Roll opens with “Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll,” a song that perhaps is the most Queen-like, with hints of gospel to boot; after all, it is a church. This song is one to play loud and rock out to, with interesting instrumental and vocal arrangements.

The following song, “I Like It,” shows a different side of Foxy. Lead vocalist Eric Nally sings lyrics that are a little raunchy, but despite the vulgarity of the song, it’s got a catchy tune.

“Holy Touch” and “Last Chance at Love” are the next two tracks. In keeping with the theme of The Church of Rock and Roll, “Holy Touch” is all about the gospel. It is also slower and more melodic than the first two songs. “Last Chance at Love” is a more upbeat, retro rock track that would not be expected to be included on the album, judging by the opening songs. Though a similar sound is found in the later song “Wasted Feelings,” “Last Chance” might possibly be the best song on the track, with its peppy tunes that get stuck in the listener’s head.

For a rock ‘n’ roll album, it has a surprising number of slow ballads. “Forever Together” and “(It’s) Too Late Baby” are sweet ballads about falling in love, and show Nally’s deeper vocal abilities. “I Wanna Be Yours” follows, a song that cannot be called a ballad but cannot be called a rock song either. The strong, loud drum beat contrasts with the slow lyrics and guitar solos to create a unique song, one that stands out from the others.

“The Temple” follows, starting with a very rock ‘n’ roll electric guitar riff. Again, another mention to religious objects is shown in the title, maintaining the theme that Foxy Shazam is singing a gospel at the Church of Rock and Roll. This song has many rock elements, leaning towards that of ‘80s metal hair bands.

“The Streets” and “Freedom” are the final tracks of Rock and Roll. “Streets” is a soft, comforting track, with the lyrics “The streets is where I’s born/And the streets is where I’ll die/ Until then the streets is where I’ll be.” It has a solemn, slow tone that is not as hard rock as other songs. “Freedom” is an even slower closing number, perfect for ending an album composed of heavier rock songs. The track has memorable aspects, as Nally wails the word “freedom” over and over, demonstrating one last time his impressive, yet overlooked vocal abilities.

The Church of Rock and Roll is a respectable work of music, and it might be the album that puts Foxy Shazam on the radar. After all, their immense stage presence on tour with Panic! At the Disco, where Nally was known to repeatedly smoke, then eat, five lit cigarettes, makes them an entertaining act on stage; when paired with their catchy tunes, who knows what they will accomplish.