Diesel Pigeons win first place in Battle of the Bands

After last year’s successful comeback from a ten-year hiatus, the Battle of the Bands competition came back to the CHS stage May 14.

Six CHS bands got to showcase their talent in front of the surrounding community. The Diesels Pigeons, a pop-punk group consisting of sophomore Zac Vogel and Class of 2009 alumni Evan Vogel, Jonah Weinreich and Eric Taft, left with the victory.

Ever Since Beginnings, Noise, Sheeza Commando, Hot Broccoli and Churchill’s Got Talent winner J.A.W.A.N.J.A all had their turn on the stage. Their genres ranged from pop-punk to jazz and every type of rock in between.

“Our class officers had shown some interest in doing a school event so Scott Selman, our SGA advisor, figured out that we could be in charge of Battle of the Bands this year,” freshman vice president Hana Quirós said.

Battle of the Bands was a solution to help funding for the class of 2013.

“My idea was to create an event that could kick-start the fundraising for the [freshmen] class early,” Selman said.

Auditions were held by the freshmen SGA officers and Executive Board members April 20 and 21. Bands were primarily judged on preparedness, talent and stage presence.

The Diesel Pigeons performed at After-Prom and received a recording studio microphone package donated from Guitar Center as their prize.

After the past two years’ turnout, Battle of the Bands will probably become a CHS tradition once again. While it is a way to help support the freshmen class, Vogel also cites Battle of the Bands as a valuable opportunity for local bands.

“I really hope that events like this will encourage CHS students to respect and support local music,” Vogel said. “I’ve seen kids who appreciate it in other areas, but the support is nowhere to be found here.”