Breakfast fans find tasty treats at The Cereal Bowl

“They’re more than good. They’re great!” Practically everyone can recognize this slogan of Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes. Now this phrase can be used to describe the new restaurant in Washington D.C., The Cereal Bowl.

The Cereal Bowl opened March 27 in Cleveland Park and offers an array of cereal and toppings. Customers can choose from pre-made combinations or create their own. They can also choose from “hot bowls,” which are mixtures made with oatmeal, or “cold bowls,” which are mixtures made with cereal.  The diner’s creation is served in bowl that is a perfect size for breakfast or a snack.

The Cereal Bowl serves items other than cereal including Oaties, which are oatmeal smoothies, and Freeze-and-Flakes, which is frozen yogurt with cereal. Their menu also boasts baked goods such as Rice Krispie treats and parfaits made with vanilla yogurt and granola. The Cereal Bowl also serves coffee in various flavors, including s’mores mocha and raspberry white mocha.

The cereal itself is nothing special. While they have a huge selection of cereal from Raisin Bran to Cocoa Puffs it is essentially the same cereal available at any grocery store. The toppings and atmosphere are what make The Cereal Bowl stand out.

With almost 30 toppings to choose from, ranging from strawberries to apple pie filling, it is easy to transform everyday cereal into a fun meal. Adding cereal to the frozen yogurt creates a new twist to an old favorite.

When ordering at the counter, the many options can be overwhelming, but it is almost guaranteed that any possible mixture will be scrumptious. For a fun way to dress cereal, try the Dirt Bowl, a mixture comprised of Cookie Crisp cereal, Oreo cookies, chocolate syrup and gummy worms. For a healthier option, try Ruby’s Nuts About You featuring Honey Nut Cheerios, Grape Nuts, almonds, pecans, and cinnamon.

The Cereal Bowl atmosphere makes it seem as if the diner is lounging at home with a high-tech twist. The flashy menus are displayed on flat-screen TVs. Meanwhile, cartoons play by the tables. Free Wi-Fi is another perk of The Cereal Bowl.

While dining in is definitely a better option, The Cereal Bowl also offers take-out options. Customers in a hurry opt to take their cereal home in an environmentally friendly take-out bowl. They also have the option to purchase a Create-a-Box, where you can create your own cereal mixture and take it home in a regular sized cereal box.

Prices vary depending on the amount of cereals and toppings purchased, but most bowls are under $5. The Cereal Bowl also offers a 20 percent student discount on weekdays from 3 to 5 p.m.

With endless options, foodies can’t go wrong at this unique new restaurant.