‘White Collar’ is classy, sophisticated crime drama

These days, it seems that all that’s on TV are either “reality” shows like Jersey Shore where you feel dumber after watching, or over-hyped dramas like Melrose Place, where you wonder why educated wealthy professionals keep turning to murder and prostitution to solve their problems. Have these people not heard of therapy? Thankfully, USA Network has a new show that’s refreshingly realistic and still loaded with enough drama to keep you tuning in.

Based in New York City, White Collar is a police drama about an FBI agent who recruits one of the world’s smartest criminals in the White Collar Unit to help solve crimes. The show stars a relatively unknown, yet extremely talented cast. Matt Bomer (Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning) plays Neal Caffrey, a charming, intelligent and ridiculously good-looking conman convicted of numerous forgeries and thefts, and Tim DeKay (Get Smart) plays his partner, Special Agent Peter Burke. The supporting cast includes Tiffani Thiessen (Saved by the Bell) as Peter’s wife Elizabeth, and Willie Garson (Sex and the City) as ‘Mozzie,’ Neal’s best friend and fellow con-man.

The two-hour pilot kicked off with fast-paced drama, starting with Caffrey’s escape from prison. Burke, the only man who has ever caught Caffrey, quickly catches him again and places him in jail but in the end strikes a deal: if Neal helps him solve his cases then he can be released under the custody of the FBI as a consultant. The story continues on from that point with an ongoing

episode arc of Neal secretly trying to find his girlfriend Kate, whom he believes was kidnapped.

White Collar is surprisingly fresh, with sophisticated acting and dialogue that isn’t cringe-inducing. The characters are all intense and hilarious and they each have a distinctive edge that makes you want to know more about them. The plot lines are interesting, and the writers leave cliffhangers about Neal’s search for Kate in almost each episode. The plot twists keep the viewers in suspense, making one week (until the next episode) seem like forever.

Bomer does an amazing job at playing the smooth criminal type, whose charm can win anyone over, and DeKay is perfect as Burke, the uptight FBI agent who is immune to Caffrey’s charm. Their chemistry as partners keeps the show entertaining, and the rest of the cast act flawlessly in their parts.

One of the best things this show has going for it is its reliance on substance rather than overused corny storylines. The typical episode deals with some serious issues, but breaks with moments of subtle humor, like references to Neal’s wardrobe – which seems to be robbed from Frank Sinatra’s closet. It’s a light-hearted comedy and an intense drama, tackling issues like illegal organ harvesting schemes and Peter’s flirting capability at the same time.

White Collar is a break from all the usual predictable junk on TV. Its suspense is riveting, the acting unparalleled and the drama worth watching. It’s a new show that will definitely keep you tuning in each week to see the latest developments, or maybe even just to see Neal Caffrey rock his fedora.