Local theaters offer escape from the norm

Looking for something to do on a Friday night can be challenging as most students end up at the movie theater or the mall every week. However, students often forget about another source of entertainment: the theatre. Many local theaters run exciting productions each month that are often overlooked by the CHS community. Here are a few productions that are worth your while:

Camelot at Olney Theatre Center

This musical centers around the story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable.  As Arthur struggles to create a perfect, utopian kingdom, his life is complicated by his new marriage to Queen Guinevere and her growing attraction to his favorite knight, Lancelot. The musical is based on The Once and Future King by T.H. White and has been adapted by Alan Jay Learner for the stage. Tickets are available online at www.olneytheatre.org or at the box office for $22-$44.

Jules Verne’s Around the World in 80 Days at CenterStage

The story, set in 1873, follows a wealthy and mysterious Englishman, Phineas Fogg, who bets his entire fortune that it takes only 80 days to circumnavigate the globe. Audiences can watch and enjoy as Fogg, joined by his manservant, faces many obstacles ranging from devious bandits to wild buffaloes as he travels the world. The play features an ensemble cast from Chicago’s Lookingglass Theatre and is family friendly, recommended for ages 8 and up. Tickets cost $20-$55 and are available online at www.centerstage.org or at the box office.

Mamma Mia at The France-Merrick Performing Arts Center

Based on the songs of ABBA, the musical is set on a Greek island as a young girl, Sophie, prepares for her wedding day. She has never known her father, but hopes that with the help of her mother’s diary, she will be able to find him so he can walk her down the aisle. Based on diary entries, she invites three men to her wedding who could all possibly be her father. Tickets are available online at www.ticketmaster.com or at the box office for $25-$67.

Dreamgirls at The France-Merrick Performing Arts Center

This musical follows the story of hopeful singers Deena Jones, Lorrell Robinson and Effie White who are discovered by ambitious agent, Curtis Taylor Jr. while performing as “The Dreamettes.” However, the girls are brought to a crossroads when the beautiful Deena is thrust into the spotlight as the star of the group, rather than the talented Effie. Based on the original Broadway production, Dreamgirls features new set designs, lavish costumes and revised songs. Tickets are available online at www.ticketmaster.com or at the box office for $20-$60.