New SGA show supplies Daily Dose of news

Students will have the pleasure of not only hearing, but seeing the school announcements this year, as the Daily Dose, the new SGA-run news television program, brings school news to students in a more interactive and visual way.

In previous years, students were aware of the announcements made of the public address system (PA), but never seemed to pay much attention to them. Instead, they would talk to their classmates while the announcements played, therefore missing potentially important information. The Daily Dose’s main goal is to keep the students interested and get them the news they need and want to hear, and now, see.

“Students will become more engaged and aware of stuff happening in and around Churchill,” Daily Dose producer and social studies teacher Justin Ostry said.

According to Ostry, a normal show will consist of “weather, sports, SAT word [of the day] and student features.” Also included are all normal school announcements students are accustomed to hearing.

While the Daily Dose might seem similar to CHS’ Friday television show, it is run by the SGA while the students in the TV production class put the Friday show together.

“This [Daily Dose] is more about school, SGA events, announcements and the news, whereas the Friday show is more for entertainment purposes,” junior Daily Dose anchor Janey Asher said.

The Daily Dose gives students an opportunity to see and get to know those who are relaying the news, something students couldn’t do when the announcements were said over the PA.

According to Ostry, the news anchors include seniors Sima Koolaee, Jackie Kleban and junior Janey Asher.  The show will also feature other students including seniors Pedram Motevalli and Steven Rigaux, students whose voices may be recognized from last year’s announcements.

“I know the SGA students can [put together a great show],” Ostry said. “The school needs a daily TV show to showcase all the amazing talent Churchill has to offer.”

The Daily Dose will air at the end of fourth period Monday through Thursday.